Yeast – A Bakers’ Best Friend
The demand for yeast has increased ever since the onset of the social restrictions because when you’re free for this long, you want to try your hand at baking.
And wherever baking is mentioned, the yeast becomes compulsory to mention as well.
The yeast found in your local grocery store also known as ‘bakers’ or ‘brewers’ yeast is made of micro-organisms that convert sugars already present in your food to carbon dioxide resulting in an airy, fluffy structure which is every baker’s dream.
Other than the baking industry, yeast is also a necessary component of the brewing industry due to the role it plays in fermentation.
However, the residue left behind after the brewing process although very much alive and nutritional has quite a bitter taste and best be discarded. Baking yeast, on the other hand, can only be used once during the process of cooking and cannot be used for any other purpose.
There is a third type of yeast known as ‘nutritional yeast’ which is a vegan product fortified with minerals and vitamins and can be used as an add-on to multiple types of foods.
A Guide to Help you Understand the Types of Yeast:
The type of yeast you need to buy depends highly on what you plan on using that yeast for. As mentioned before, two major industries rely on yeast, and a third type is commonly used by many people as a nutritious inclusion to their diets.
- Active Dry yeast is inactivated form of yeast and needs to be placed in warm water to activate it and then it can be used in your recipes. It is sold either in jars or in 1/4th-ounce packets. Popular brands of baker’s yeast include Red Star Active Dry Yeast.
- Instant Yeast is the type that you can use as is without wasting any time prepping. Grab a sachet and pour it into your dough for a rapid rise. It is the most popular type among consumers as well as the one commercially available due to its ease of use, versatility, and availability. A tried and tested brand is SAF Instant Yeast which is commonly used by many bakers.
- Ale Yeast or Top Fermenting Yeast is the main type of yeast used by the brewing industry for fermentation and it creates a thick, rich flavor.
- Brewer’s yeast also has multiple health benefits as it is a rich source of vitamin B complex as well as zinc and maintains normal blood glucose levels.
- This is an inactivated form of yeast that is incorporated by multiple people into their diets due to its health benefits including immune booster, blood glucose control, healthy skin, and hair. Its nutty flavor makes it easy to incorporate into multiple recipes. Famous brands include Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning, Red Star Nutritional Yeast among others.
More to read: Where to Find Quinoa in Grocery Store?
Where to find yeast in supermarket?
With everyone developing a newfound love for baking, yeast easily goes out of stock from a lot of supermarkets.
Therefore it has become essential to know exactly where to find it and which places sell it so you always have a backup plan.
Baker’s yeast can most likely be found in the section of baking items next to other baking essentials such as all-purpose flour, and baking powder.
You can find both instant yeasts as well as active dry yeast of different brands in this aisle. It usually comes in small packaging so keep a keen eye out for it.
Nutritional yeast can be found in the health section of your local grocery store or supermarket. If not, then it may be present next to the seasonings and spices as it is commonly added to multiple recipes for flavor enhancing purposes.
At last, if the grocery store you’re visiting keeps products in open bulk bins look for the nutritional yeast there and pack any you need.
Explore all possible aisles and if you still can’t find them ask any of the store staff to help you out in your search.
More to read: How Old Do You Have to be to Work at a Grocery Store?
Where to find yeast in Walmart?
Yeast can be found in Walmart in the aisle where baking goods are present. Zoom in next to products such as baking soda and starch and you’ll find it lying around right there.
Walmart offers various brands of nutritional, active dry as well as instant yeast. Just keep in mind that instant yeast is also known as ‘bread machine yeast’ so don’t be confused as they’re the same product.
- Fleischmann’s Classic Bread Machine Yeast, 4 oz jar. This yeast can be used for all high-rise dough requiring recipes.
- Bread Baker’s Yeast Active Instant Dry Yeast High Glucose Tolerance Kitchen
- Baking Supplies for Household – 500g packaging
- Red Star DADY 1 lb. Distillers Yeast
- Baker’s Corner Active Dry Yeast 2 Counts (6 PACKETS (7g) 1/4 oz each )
- Solgar Brewer’s Yeast Powder 14 oz FRESH Made In USA
Various other brands can be found in addition to these at Walmarts. Call and check to see if they have your preferred brand stocked up before going. Read more: Where to Find Gnocchi in Grocery Store?
Where to find yeast in Kroger?
Kroger stocks instant yeast and dry active yeast in the baking aisle. Nutritional yeast can be found next to spices and seasonings.
And last but not least if you’re looking for fresh yeast it is also available at Kroger in the refrigerated section next to the butter and margarine.
If you cannot find it in any of these sections call the employees or the store manager to help you out. Some popular yeast brands among customers are following:
- Fleischmann’s Original Active-Dry Yeast is available in three packets of ¼ oz. each for $2.20
- Fleischmann’s Fast-Acting Rapid Rise Instant Yeast is available at Krogers in three packets of ¼ oz. each $2.19.
- Simple Truth™ Nutritional Yeast Seasoning is available in a jar of 4.5 oz. for $5.29 with no added sugars or artificial flavors.
- Kroger Supermarkets trademark brand Kroger® also sells Fast Rise Yeast for a price lower than other companies i.e three packs of 0.25 oz each for $0.99. Different options may be available depending on the location of the outlet you plan on visiting.
Where to find yeast in Target?
Target is among the giant retailers where an assortment of yeast can be found. The first place to look for it would be in the Baking aisle among other baking staples like flours, mixtures, and baking powders. Nutritional yeast could also be placed with spices and seasonings.
Quite conveniently, Walmart offers an array of brands of yeast to select from, thus satisfying all consumers’ search.
- You can buy Bob’s Red Mill Nutritional Yeast in 5oz packaging for $5.49 at Target
- Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast – 0.25oz per package is also found in Target with three packets available in $1.49
- Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast – 4oz jar for $5.99
Be sure to call the branch you’re visiting to ask if they have your preferred brand stocked up. You could also check online for each branch of Target. If you can’t find the product you’re looking for, ask any employee, they will happily help you out.
More to read: What Time Do Restaurants Serve Lunch?
Where to find yeast in ShopRite?
People living in New York, Kentucky, Connecticut, and a few other states where ShopRite is available can easily find yeast stocked up in this supermarket.
The first thing to know would be where it’s placed. Both instant yeast and active dry yeast can be found in the Baking aisle.
However nutritional yeast may either be placed in the health section of the store along with other items such as flaxseeds and chia seeds. ShopRite stocks multiple brands that are loved by consumers.
- SuperBake Instant Yeast 10g | Baking Powder & Raising Agents
- NCP High Foam Superbrew Yeast Packet 20g
- Gold Star Instant Yeast 10g | Baking Powder & Raising Agents Red Star Quick Rise Instant Yeast ● Red Star Active Dry Yeast 4oz.
Where to find yeast in Giant?
Yeast can be found in Giant Foods in the aisle for baking good among other baking staples. With reasonable prices and multiple brands available Giant Foods is an option as any other to buy your yeast.
Furthermore, you could also find discounts available on these items on local Sunday discount papers. Following well-known brands are regularly stocked:
- Fleischmann’s ActiveDry Original Yeast – three packets of 0.25 oz each for $1.30
- Red Star Active Dry Original Yeast – 0.25 oz per packet – 3 for $1.99 Bragg Nutritional Yeast – 4 oz.
- Fleischmann’s Bread Machine Instant Yeast – 4 oz.
And last but not least, if you cannot find yeast at any of your local grocery stores then the final stop should be your local health food store. Happy shopping!
More to read:
- How Much Can You Make With Instacart?
- Your Guide to Wegmans Catering Menu
- How Does Target Grocery Pick Up Work?
- How Much to Tip Uber Driver to Airport?
- How to Make Reservations at a Restaurant?
- How Much to Tip Walmart Grocery Delivery?
- How Much to Tip Amazon Fresh?
- How to Make Olive Garden Reservations Online
- How Does Wegmans Instacart Delivery Work?
- How Does Wegmans Grocery Delivery Work?